This is a diabetic-friendly, gluten-free snack that is transportable. Keeping a healthy snack at home all the time is one of the best strategy to avoid reaching unhealthy foods when you get hungry.
Please feel free to use a combination of any nuts and seeds you like. For a liquid sweetener, I used coconut palm syrup, but you could also use other low-GI sweeteners, such as Jerusalem artichoke syrup or yacon syrup. Other higher-GI liquid sweeteners include honey, maple syrup, and brown rice syrup.
1 cup raw white sesame seeds
1/2 cup raw sunflower seeds
1/4 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
1/4 cup raw almonds, chopped
1/4 cup raw pumpkin seeds
1/2 cup nut or seed butter
1/3 cup liquid sweetener (I used coconut palm syrup)
1/4 cup dried cranberries
1/4 cup chia seeds
1/2 tsp salt
- Place the first 5 ingredients in a frying pan and toast them until the sesame seeds and coconut flakes turn light brown, stirring constantly.
- In a small saucepan, place nut/seed butter and liquid sweetener on medium heat until it can be easily poured. Pour over the nut/seed mixture.
- Add the last 3 ingredients and mix well.
- Press the mixture into an 8 x 8 square pan and cool at room temperature.
- Infuse love and cut into the size you prefer. Store in a sealed container.
Servings: 9 – 16 (depending on the individual size)