These veggie cakes are great for brunch, picnics or potlucks. Or you can serve them as a side dish for a weekend dinner. Please serve with your favorite sauce. Vegan cashew mayo or aioli sauce works pretty well. I simply combined some sour cream, mayo, lemon juice, herbs and paprika.
1 lb (450 g) sweet potatoes
1/2 cup quinoa, rinsed
1/4 onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, chopped
1/2 cup canned black beans
1 (60 g) carrot, grated
1 cup gluten-free panko (or use a piece of dry gluten-free bread processed in a food processor)
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
1/4 cup tomato paste
1 lime, juiced
1 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp cumin powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
A few drops Tabasco (optional)
2 Tbsp olive oil, separated
- Steam sweet potatoes until soft. Peel and mash in a bowl and set aside.
- Place quinoa and 1 cup water in a sauce pan. Cover and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer until the water is absorbed for about 15 – 20 minutes. Set aside. You will use only one cup of cooked quinoa. Store the leftover for later use.
- Sauté onion and garlic with 1 Tbsp of olive oil until the onion is soft.
- In the bowl containing the mashed sweet potato, add all the other ingredients and combine well.
- Make patties (10 – 12 patties depending on the size).
- Heat 1 Tbsp olive oil in a frying pan and cook patties for about 5 minutes each side. You might have to cook in two batches.
- Infuse love and serve with your favorite sauce.