Since Valentine’s Day is approaching, I took a break from writing blog posts on our holiday in Rome and came up with a gluten-free flourless chocolate cake recipe. If you like, you could increase the amount of dark chocolate and decrease the amount of cocoa powder. You can also use almond meal instead of hazelnut meal. I used a minimum amount of sugar, so please adjust the amount of sugar according to your taste.
2.7 oz (80 g) dark chocolate
5 Tbsp (76 g) unsalted butter
4 eggs, separated
2/3 cup (80 g) coconut sugar (or other natural sugar)
1/2 cup (50 g) hazelnut meal (or bleached hazelnuts ground in a food processor)
1/3 cup (30 g) unsweetened cocoa powder
2 Tbsp brandy or rum (optional)
Powdered sugar for topping
- Melt chocolate and butter in a double boiler. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F/180°C degrees.
- Whip egg whites until a stiff peak forms. Set aside.
- In another bowl, mix egg yolks and sugar. Add the chocolate and butter mixture and mix.
- Mix in the hazelnut meal, cocoa powder, and liquor (if using) and mix.
- Fold in the egg whites and mix. Pour in a 7-inch springform pan.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Cool and refrigerate for several hours or overnight. Sprinkle powdered sugar on top using a small strainer.
- Infuse love, slice and serve!