Beets offer many health benefits including detoxification, lowering blood pressure, boosting your energy, decreasing inflammation, preventing cancer, etc. They are a rich source of fiber and antioxidants. I tend to reduce the amount of sugar to the bare minimum, which many people find it “not sweet enough,” so please increase the amount to your liking.
12 oz (350 g) beets
2 Tbsp lemon juice
4 Tbsp coconut sugar
300 ml water
2 tsp agar-agar powder
1 apple (small), diced
1/2 tsp salt (for apple soaking water)
- Steam whole beets until soft (about 45 minutes). (I pressure-cooked for 25 minutes.)
- Soak apple pieces in salted water for 5 minutes to prevent oxidation.
- When the beets are no longer hot, peel and cut into chunks.
- Place cooked beets and water in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Transfer the liquid to a sauce pan and add lemon juice and sugar.
- Bring to a boil, add agar-agar powder and let it boil for a couple of minutes, stirring constantly.
- Transfer the liquid to individual ramekins or glass containers. Place diced apple pieces on top and push them down.
- Refrigerate for a few hours or overnight.
- Infuse love and serve!